Thursday, October 15, 2009

A sight to behold

The night that I saw THE LIGHT was in fact a very busy one. It was a cold October night in southern Maryland. Cold, crisp and clear with the promise of winter not far off. Susan and I lived in an old farmhouse that was in the middle of corn fields and dirt roads. Our nearest neighbor lived maybe five or ten miles away. Tonight was to be special, a cast party. Thirty or forty students from St. Mary's College who had just finished their run of THE MARQUIS DE SADE. Susan had been manager on the production and had fallen for the professor/director. I had no role except that of ignored husband. The final show had gone very well. At least one member of the audience had peed her pants. One cast member took on their role of insane person for the rest of their life. (true) All in all quiet a success. The budding nutcase had been medicated with pills of unknown origin and everyone else was mellowing out with weed and wine. ( All but Susan and the director - they had just disappeared.)At this point I was feeling very left out, I wasn't a crew member and my wife was off playing footsies with the director. I went looking for refuge and found it outside under a large oak tree twenty or thirty yards from the house. I felt safe there because I was far enough from the house to be out of the light. I was in my own world of pitch black sky and a million stars, no moon and clear a night sky as I could ever remember. I was soon joined by another lost soul from the party. Allen was one of the cast that had played a minor role and was not really a member of the theater gang. He had drifted away seeking privacy as I had except he had a plan. In his pocket was some LSD and in front of him was a beautiful sky and the safety of isolation. He came over to my tree and without a word sat down, pulled out an envelope, pulled out two tabs, ate one and held out the other for me. I didn't hesitate at all. What followed was to change my life forever. The rest of this story must not be discounted as just an hallucination. I later found I was not the first to see the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Philosophy Blogs Philosophy Blog